How to Retrieve WhatsApp Deleted Message?
As technology evolves, communication becomes easier with our friends and family. With the advancement of technology. the communication with our friends and colleagues has become a cakewalk. Recently what’s app has availed the feature of delete for everyone’s messages.
Sometimes, if someone deletes messages the curiosity might arise that what will be that message? Was that something important? Sometimes the deleting the message can irritate you as well. Most of us must be delving and experimenting with how to retrieve WhatsApp deleted messages?
How to Retrieve WhatsApp Deleted Message Step By Step ?
Let us move ahead with how to retrieve WhatsApp deleted messages. Before that, let me tell you one thing that what’s app has a feature of taking backup at 2 am every by default night until unless you have changed the setting manually.
Before trying the steps keep one thing in mind, the chats only can be retrieved if the option of backup had been on from your side. It simply means that if you have never taken the backup of your chats, then you won’t be able to recover anymessages or chats that you accidentally delete.
Let me add one more thing here that, the method of how to retrieve WhatsApp deleted messages has worked for many people and that requires uninstalling what’s app. Initially, some messages will be lost but then that have arrived between the time of your last backup and when you accidentally deleted a chat.
Steps of backing up your data:
For Android Smartphones:
Open WhatsApp, go to Settings > go to Chats > tap on Chat backup. Over here, you can set up the frequency of your chat backup between never, daily, weekly or monthly, or you can even do a manual backup as well.
Additionally, you’ll have to select the Google account where you’d want the backup to be stored if you use an Android smartphone.
Go to Settings within WhatsApp > Chats > Chat Backup, where you can select the Auto Backup frequency or use Back Up Now to manually initiate a backup to iCloud.
Restore Deleted WhatsApp Chats Via Cloud Backup
If you have deleted chats accidentally, there’s a chance that the chat was present on your cloud backup. Let’s say your Google Drive or iCloud backup took place at midnight and in the morning, you accidentally deleted a chat. The cloud backup still has the chat and you can restore it. Here’s how:
Uninstall WhatsApp from your Android smartphone or iPhone.
- Reinstall WhatsApp and set it up with your phone number.
- Once the app is set up, you will get a prompt asking you to restore messages from a cloud backup. This backup would be from Google Drive on Android, and iCloud on iOS. Tap Restore.
- This will bring back the messages that you had accidentally deleted. Note that if you got a message after your most recent cloud backup and deleted it, there’s no way to recover it.
Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Chats Via Android's Local Backup
- Another way to try restoring deleted WhatsApp chats is to recover them from local backups on your Android phone. This method does not work on iOS. If your Google Drive backup has overwritten the deleted messages, then follow these steps.
- Go to your phone’s File Manager (download Google’s Files app if you can’t find this app). Now go to the WhatsApp folder > Database. The Database folder contains all the WhatsApp backup files that are stored locally on your phone.
- Select the file msgstore.DB.crypt12 and rename it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12. This is your most recent backup file and you need to rename it so as to prevent it from being overwritten. In case things go wrong, you can always rename this file to its original name and restore it.
- Now you will see a bunch of files in this folder in the format msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. These are your older WhatsApp backups, you can pick the most recent one and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12.
- Here’s the tricky part: you need to open Google Drive on your smartphone, tap the hamburger icon (the three vertical lines) > Backups. Now delete the WhatsApp backup there. This will force your phone to restore from the local backup instead.
- Now, uninstall WhatsApp and then reinstall it. Set it up and once done, you will get a prompt to restore chats from a local backup, considering you don’t have a chat backup on the cloud.
- Tap on Restore and that’s it. You’ll get your deleted chats back.
The messages that appear after the backup time can’t be restored. if you have accidentally deleted some what’s app chats without changing a new phone, then take a backup of your chats reinstalled WhatsApp. follow the aforementioned process. Don’t forget to turn on the WIFI while taking the backups